Jewelled Yam and Red Lentil Soup (Serves 8-10)
Recipe by Suzanne Landry
2 cups uncooked red lentils (do not substitute with green)
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced1 Tbs. expeller pressed oil
4 cups sweet potatoes – about 2 medium
2 bay leaves
10 cups water (divided)
2 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbs. curry
1Tbs. fresh ginger, minced
- Preheat oil, add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Peel potatoes and slice them into sticks and then chop them into small pieces.
- To the garlic add lentils, potatoes, bay leaves, 6 cups of water, salt, and minced ginger. Cover; bring to boil, then lower to medium heat. Simmer for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining water and curry. Simmer again for 15 minutes. Red lentils should be softened and dissolved by this time and sweet potatoes completely break down into a puree. If not, continue to simmer until you a see a smooth consistency. Adjust flavours for your own unique taste.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve. This soup can be frozen up to 3 months.
*Note: I had to add water since the lentils kept on soaking up all the water. This recipe also makes a great dhal if you let it stand and let the lentils soak up all the water.